Friday, June 20, 2014

Free for Friends Friday: Blank Faces Printables

It's a Free for Friends Friday!  Yippee!  

I mean, who doesn't like friends and free?

So let's celebrate each other with a set of printables today, Blank Faces.  These printables were initially created for my son, Garyn, who is Autistic.  He has Asperger's Syndrome, which is on the Autistic Spectrum.  I saw a saying the other day that said, "If you meet someone with Autism, you've met someone with Autism."  In other words, those with Autism are on a "spectrum" and have a wide variety of characteristics of the disorder.  So it's virtually impossible to group them together under a lump sum of characteristics.  My son for example, an Aspie (one with Asperger's Syndrome), is extremely intelligent.  He reads far beyond his grade level and has a vocabulary of someone 5 years older than him!  BUT... his emotional and social intelligences are very low, meaning he has difficulty "reading" others emotional reactions, or he can't tell what others are thinking or feeling by looking at their faces.  So with these printables, I labeled blank face with an emotion, sad, happy, excited, etc. and asked him to draw the facial expression that would match the emotions.  It's sometimes hard for me as a teacher to remember that I can't give him my "mean teacher look" that we all have :)  because he doesn't know what I'm trying to say to him.  I have to give him a verbal command with my teacher look so he'll understand me better.  So a printable like this is great for Autistic children that have difficulty reading facial emotions and expressions!
But that's just one example of how these printables are useful for children.  Ideally, any child can have fun with these printables, drawing different funny faces, or different emotions.  They are wonderful for preschool-aged students that are learning emotions or for tweens that love to draw.  So have fun with these printables, whether they're for you, your child, or your students!


Do you have a specific child or someone in mind that would benefit from these printables?  I'd love to hear from you if you do!  Or how would you use these in your classroom?  Please comment with your suggestions, as I'd love to learn from you too on this Free for Friends Friday!

P.S.  Please don't forget to enter the giveaway for the $30.00 TpT gift certificate and your FREE Follower Resource Pack which has over $35.00 of free clip art!  Your chance to enter is below in a past post, so just scroll down to enter.

Have a Wonderful Weekend,

4 comments:

  1. These are wonderful, Cara! I will be using them with some children who have very little emotional understanding (due to neglect issues). As there are both boys and girls in the group, it is lovely to have both sexes sheets rather than the very bland blank ovals I have at the moment. Getting these children to be in touch with their emotions and that they are allowed to have them is very important for healing to begin. I would like to share a link to this page on my blog if that is OK with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello friend! Yes, you can share it on your blog if you'd like! I can see how those kids would benefit from an activity like this also; they probably need it more than my Son does. I have a soft spot in my heart for those that are neglected. It just hurts me to know that they may never know what it's like to be loved or how to love. Thank goodness for people like you that will help them to understand. Thanks so much for doing that! Cara;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Missy! Thanks for visiting, Cara;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Printfriendly